From Matt Bidwell:
Warm-up (5 to 10 mins light running)
4 lots of strides
Hill session – 12 x 1 minute hard uphill efforts with jog back down hill recovery.
Use a hill similar to the one that leads up to the track. Not too steep though as you won’t be able to run fast
. Ran the uphill efforts hard concentrating on good form and technique. After one minute turn and jog back down the hill. Repeat until you have completed 12 x 1 minute uphill efforts. A good pace guide would be around 5k pace for these efforts – but it really depends on how steep the hill is. For people using heart rate you should be building up into zone 3 as you work through the session.
– Keep the back straight and run tall
– Concentrate on swinging the arms lower and shorter (not side-to-side)
– Keep the head up (don’t look down)
– Shorten the stride and lean slightly into the hill
– Try and maintain the pace throughout the 60 second effort – don’t start too fast and gradually get slower!
Finish with 5 to 10 mins running as a warm-down.
Let Matt know if you have any questions.