Something a bit different this week – a hill session to help develop strength and power (to replace the speed session). This is a tough session if you get it right!
Warm-up (5 to 10 mins light running)
4 lots of strides
Hill session – 12 x 1 minute hard uphill efforts with jog back down hill recovery.
Use a hill similar to the one that leads up to the track. Not too steep though as you won’t be able to run fast. Ran the uphill efforts hard concentrating on good form and technique. After one minute turn and jog back down the hill. Repeat until you have completed 12 x 1 minute uphill efforts. A good pace guide would be around 5k pace for these efforts – but it really depends on how steep the hill is. For people using heart rate you should be building up into zone 3 as you work through the session.
– Keep the back straight and run tall
– Concentrate on swinging the arms lower and shorter (not side-to-side)
– Keep the head up (don’t look down)
– Shorten the stride and lean slightly into the hill
– Try and maintain the pace throughout the 60 second effort – don’t start too fast and gradually get slower!
Finish with 5 to 10 mins running as a warm-down.
Let Matt know if you have any questions.